Volume 6 | Issue 1 | Jan-April 2020 | Page: 11-15 | Md. Ashraful Islam, Datta N K, Arefin K M N, Faisal A, Mahmud C I, Murad S A, Rahman M M, Alam M M U, Begum I A
Authors : Md. Ashraful Islam , Datta N K , Arefin K M N , Faisal A , Mahmud C I , Murad S A , Rahman M M , Alam M M U , Begum I A 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
 Department of Biochemistry, Popular Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Md. Ashraful Islam
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Congenital muscular torticollis is not an uncommon problem. We evaluated 14 patients who were operated by bipolar releases and Z-lengthening. Post operatively Halter traction was used for 20 hours for 6 weeks and only at night for another 6 weeks. Out of 14 patients 5 were male, 9 were female with mean age of 9.06 years (2-17yrs) and mean follow up period was 3yrs and 4 months (3 months to 7 years), with involvement of the right side in all the patients. Mean lateral flexion deficit improved 16o and mean rotational deficit improved 12o. According to modified Lee scoring system 3 patients had excellent, 7 well, 3 fair and 1 poor result. Cosmetic improvement was significant and patients and parents were happy. There were no post-operative complications. Scar was not an issue and one patient had residual band due to poor post-operative rehabilitation as the age of the child was 2 years. Bipolar release with Z- lengthening gives well to excellent results in most patients.
Key words: Congenital, Torticollis, Post operatively
1. Cheng JC, Au AW. Infantile torticollis: a review of 624 cases. J Pediatr Orthop 1994; 14:802-8.
2. Cheng JC, Tang SP. Outcome of surgical treatment of congenital muscular torticollis.Clin Orthop 1999; 362:190-200.
3. Chandler FA, Altenberg A. “Congenital” muscular torticollis. JAMA 1944; 125:476-83.
4. Coventry MB, Harris LE. Congenital muscular torticollis in infancy: some observationregarding treatment. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1959; 41-A: 815-22.
5. Ling CM. The influence of age on the results of open sternomastoid tenotomy in musculartorticollis. Clin Orthop 1976; 116:142-8.
6. Morrison DL, MacEwen GD. Congenital muscular torticollis: observation regarding clinical findings, associated conditions, and results of treatment. J Pediatr Orthop 1982; 2:500-5.
7. Ferkel D, Westin GW, Dawson EG, Oppenheim WL. Muscular torticollis: a modified surgical approach. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1983; 65-A: 894-900.
8. Hellstadius A. Torticollis congenita. Acta Clin Scand 1972; 62:586-9.
9. Hulbert KF. Congenital muscular torticollis. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1950; 32-B: 50-9.
10. Wirth CJ, Hagena FW, Wuelker N, Siebert WE. Biterminal tenotomy for the treatment of congenital muscular torticollis: long-term results. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1992; 74-A: 427-34.
11. Ippolito E, Tudisco C, Massobrio M. Long-term results of open sternocleidomastoid tenotomy for idiopathic muscular torticollis. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1985; 67- A: 30-8.
12. Lee EH, Kang YK, Bose K. Surgical correction of muscular torticollis in the older child. J Pediatr Orthop 1986;6:585-9
13. Canale ST, Griffin DW, Hubbard CN. Congenital muscular torticollis: a long-term follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1982; 64-A: 810-16.
14. Chen CE, Ko JY. Surgical treatment of muscular torticollis for patients above 6 years of age. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2000; 120:149-51.
15. Arslan H, Gündüz S, Subasi M, Kesemenlin C, Necmioglu S. Frontal cephalometric analysis in the evaluation of facial asymmetry in torticollis, and outcomes of bipolar release in patients over 6 years of age. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2002; 122:489-93.
16. Soeur R. Treatment of congenital torticollis. J Bone Joint Surg 1940; 22:35-42.
17. Staheli LT. Muscular torticollis: late results of operative treatment. Surgery 1971; 69:469-73.
18. Omidi-Kashani F, Hasankhani EG, Sharifi R, Mazlumi M. Is surgery recommended in adults with neglected congenital muscular torticollis?: a prospective study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2008; 9:158.
19. Shim JS, Jang HP. Operative treatment of congenital torticollis. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2008; 90-B: 934-9.
20. Alldred, A: Congenital muscular torticollis. In Proceeding of the New Zealand Orthopardic Association. J Bone and Joint Surg. 53-B(2):358. 1971.
|How to Cite this Article: Islam M A, Datta N K, Arefin K M N, Faisal A, Mahmud C I, Murad S A, Rahman M M, Alam M M U, Begum I A | Congenital Muscular Torticollis: A study | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | Jan-April 2020; 6(1): 11-15.|
(Abstract) (Full Text HTML) (Download PDF)