Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Jan-Jun 2017 | Page 12-15 | Samuel K. Van de Velde, Jack Pang, Lachlan Milne, Jitendra Balakumar
Authors : Samuel K. Van de Velde , Jack Pang , Lachlan Milne , Jitendra Balakumar .
 Department of Orthopaedics, The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne, Parkville (VIC) 3052, Australia
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Samuel K. Van de Velde,
Department of Orthopaedics, The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne
50 Flemington Road, Parkville (VIC) 3052, Australia
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose: Femoral neck fractures in children are rare injuries which are associated with a high incidence of osteonecrosis of the femoral head. We aimed to determine the predictive accuracy of bone scintigraphy for femoral head osteonecrosis after pediatric femoral neck fractures.
Materials and Methods: Thirteen scintigrams were performed in 10 children (6–15 years) at diverse moments after fixation of a femoral neck fracture.The results of the bone scintigrams were compared with the hip radiographs at final follow-up.
Results: Eight of the 10 femoral heads eventually developed osteonecrosis. Scintigrams performed within 2 weeks showed decreased uptake for these heads. However,four of the five scans that were performed more than 1 month after surgery showed normal uptake despite the subsequent collapse of these femoral heads.
Conclusions: Bone scintigraphy has a very low accuracy in predicting compromised vascularity of the femoral head when performed more than 1month after surgery of a femoral neck fracture in children. This findingquestions the value of scintigraphy performed late in the follow-up of pediatric femoral neck fractures.
Level of Evidence: Level IV.
Keywords: Pediatric Hip Fracture; Bone Scan; Outcome
1. Yeranosian M, Horneff JG, Baldwin K, Hosalkar HS. Factors affecting the outcome of fractures of the femoral neck in children and adolescents: A systematic review. Bone Joint J 2013;95-B:135-42.
2. Moon ES, Mehlman CT. Risk factors for avascular necrosis after femoral neck fractures in children: 25 Cincinnati cases and meta-analysis of 360 cases. J Orthop Trauma 2006;20:323-9.
3. Kim HK, Aruwajoye O, Stetler J, Stall A. Effects of non-weight-bearing on the immature femoral head following ischemic osteonecrosis: An experimental investigation in immature pigs. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012;94:2228-37.
4. Kim HK, Randall TS, Bian H, Jenkins J, Garces A, Bauss F. Ibandronate for prevention of femoral head deformity after ischemic necrosis of the capital femoral epiphysis in immature pigs. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005;87:550-7.
5. Arora A, Agarwal A, Sharma J. Outcomes in pediatric femoral neck fractures. Delhi J Orthop 2004;1:25-49.
6. Hajdu S, Oberleitner G, Schwendenwein E, Ringl H, Vécsei V. Fractures of the head and neck of the femur in children: An outcome study. Int Orthop 2011;35:883-8.
7. Bali K, Sudesh P, Patel S, Kumar V, Saini U, Dhillon MS. Pediatric femoral neck fractures: Our 10 years of experience. Clin Orthop Surg 2011;3:302-8.
8. Shrader MW, Jacofsky DJ, Stans AA, Shaughnessy WJ, Haidukewych GJ. Femoral neck fractures in pediatric patients: 30 years experience at a level 1 trauma center. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007;454:169-73.
9. Kaushik A, Sankaran B, Varghese M. To study the role of dynamic magnetic resonance imaging in assessing the femoral head vascularity in intracapsular femoral neck fractures. Eur J Radiol 2010;75:364-75.
10. Pierce TP, Jauregui JJ, Cherian JJ, Elmallah RK, Mont MA. Imaging evaluation of patients with osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med 2015;8:221-7.
11. Bauer G, Weber DA, Ceder L, Darte L, Egund N, Hansson LI, et al. Dynamics of Technetium-99m methylenediphosphonate imaging of the femoral head after hip fracture. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1980;152:85-92.
12. D’Ambrosia RD, Shoji H, Riggins RS, Stadalnik RC, DeNardo GL. Scintigraphy in the diagnosis of osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1978;130:139-43.
13. Alberts KA, Dahlborn M, Ringertz H. Sequential scintimetry after femoral neck fracture. Methodologic aspects and prediction of healing complications. Acta Orthop Scand 1987;58:217-22.
14. Strömqvist B, Brismar J, Hansson LI, Palmer J. Technetium-99m-methylenediphosphonate scintimetry after femoral neck fracture. A three-year follow-up study. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1984;182:177-89.
15. Broeng L, Bergholdt Hansen L, Sperling K, Kanstrup IL. Postoperative Tc-scintimetry in femoral neck fracture. A prospective study of 46 cases. Acta Orthop Scand 1994;65:171-4.
16. Juréus J, Geijer M, Tiderius CJ, Tägil M. Vascular evaluation after cervical hip fractures in children: A case series of eight children examined by scintigraphy after surgery for cervical hip fracture and evaluated for development of secondary radiological changes. J Pediatr Orthop B 2016;25:17-23.
17. Mortensson W, Rosenborg M, Gretzer H. The role of bone scintigraphy in predicting femoral head collapse following cervical fractures in children. Acta Radiol 1990;31:291-2.
18. Minikel J, Sty J, Simons G. Sequential radionuclide bone imaging in avascular pediatric hip conditions. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1983;175:202-8.
19. Ficat RP. Idiopathic bone necrosis of the femoral head. Early diagnosis and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1985;67:3-9.
20. Turner JH. Post-traumatic avascular necrosis of the femoral head predicted by preoperative technetium-99m antimony-colloid scan. An experimental and clinical study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1983;65:786-96.
21. Meyers MH, Telfer N, Moore TM. Determination of the vascularity of the femoral head with technetium 99m-sulphur-colloid. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1977;59:658-64.
22. Alberts KA. Prognostic accuracy of preoperative and postoperative scintimetry after femoral neck fracture. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1990;250:221-5.
23. Strömqvist B, Hansson LI, Nilsson LT, Thorngren KG. Prognostic precision in postoperative 99mTc-MDP scintimetry after femoral neck fracture. Acta Orthop Scand 1987;58:494-8.
24. Yoon BH, Kim YW, Yoon HK. Patterns of isotope uptake in sequential postoperative bone scan in undisplaced femoral-neck fractures. Int Orthop 2013;37:1541-5.
25. Love C, Din AS, Tomas MB, Kalapparambath TP, Palestro CJ. Radionuclide bone imaging: An illustrative review. Radiographics 2003;23:341-58.
|How to Cite this Article: Van de Velde SK, Pang J, Milne L, Balakumar J.Limited Use for Bone Scintigraphy in the Follow-Up of Pediatric Femoral Neck Fractures. International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics Jan-June 2017;3(1):12-15.|