Volume 7 | Issue 3 | September-December 2021 | Page: 42-45 | Vikas R. Basa, Raghavendraswami Thete, Tanu Singhal
Authors: Vikas R. Basa DNB Orth. , Raghavendraswami Thete DNB Orth. , Tanu Singhal MD Paediatrics, MSc Infectious Disease 
 Department of Pediatric Orthopedics, Centre for Bone and Joint, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Center, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
 Department of Paediatrics, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Institute, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr Vikas R Basa
Consultant Pediatric Orthopedics, Centre for Bone and Joint, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Center, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
We report here the case of a 9 month old previously healthy female infant who presented with a swelling over the anterior chest wall. Radiologic, histopathology and microbiologic tests confirmed it as a case of sternal tuberculosis. The sternal disease improved after starting anti-tubercular therapy but she then developed seizures due to a paradoxical reaction leading to unmasking of a brain tuberculoma. She is well after 1 year therapy. The case is presented in view of rarity of musculoskeletal tuberculosis in infants and even rarer phenomenon of sternal involvement.
Keywords: Infant, Sternal tuberculosis, Tuberculoma
1. Held MFG, Hoppe S, Laubscher M, Mears S, Dix-Peek S, Zar HJ, Dunn RN. Epidemiology of Musculoskeletal Tuberculosis in an Area with High Disease Prevalence. Asian Spine J. 2017 Jun;11(3):405-411.
2. WALLGREN A. The time-table of tuberculosis. Tubercle. 1948 Nov;29(11):245-51.
3. Behr MA, Edelstein PH, Ramakrishnan L. Revisiting the timetable of tuberculosis. BMJ. 2018 Aug 23;362:k2738.
4. Rodrigues LC, Diwan VK, Wheeler JG. Protective effect of BCG against tuberculous meningitis and miliary tuberculosis: a meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol. 1993 Dec;22(6):1154-8. doi: 10.1093/ije/22.6.1154. PMID: 8144299.
5. Saifudheen K, Anoop TM, Mini PN, Ramachandran M, Jabbar PK, Jayaprakash R. Primary tubercular osteomyelitis of the sternum. Int J Infect Dis. 2010 Feb;14(2):e164-6.
6. Mushkin AIu, Maliarova EIu, Dzhankaeva OB, Kirillova ES, Il’ina NA. Tuberculosis of the sternum in children]. Vestn Khir Im I I Grek. 2010;169(2):52-6.
7. Sharma S, Juneja M, Garg A. Primary tuberculosis osteomyelitis of the sternum. Indian J Pediatr 2005; 72: 709-10.
8. Joshi P, Bavdekar SB, Save SU. A Swelling over Sternum in a Child: Reminder of an Uncommon Diagnosis. Case Rep Pediatr. 2016;2016:3765786.
9. Bohl JM, Janner D. Mycobacterium tuberculosis sternal osteomyelitis presenting as anterior chest wall mass. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1999; 18: 1028-9.
10. Kutty S, Bennett D, Devitt A, Dowling FE. Tuberculous osteomyelitis of the sternum in an infant: a case report and review of the literature. Pediatr Int. 2002 Apr;44(2):186-8.
11. Kato Y, Horikawa Y, Nishimura Y, Shimoda H, Shigeto E, Ueda K. Sternal tuberculosis in a 9-month-old infant after BCG vaccination. Acta Paediatr 2000;89:1495—7.
12. Carazo Gallego B, Moreno-Pérez D, Nuñez Cuadros E, Mesa Fernandez A, Martin Cantero M, Obando Pacheco P, Urda Cardona A. Paradoxical reaction in immunocompetent children with tuberculosis. Int J Infect Dis. 2016 Oct;51:15-18.
13. Bell LC, Breen R, Miller RF, Noursadeghi M, Lipman M. Paradoxical reactions and immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in tuberculosis. Int J Infect Dis. 2015 Mar;32:39-45.
14. Wen H, Li P, Ma H, Lv G. Diagnostic accuracy of Xpert MTB/RIF assay for musculoskeletal tuberculosis: a meta-analysis. Infect Drug Resist. 2017 Sep 28;10:299-305.
15. Kumar A, Gupta D, Nagaraja SB, Singh V, Sethi GR, Prasad J; Indian Academy of Pediatric. Updated national guidelines for pediatric tuberculosis in India, 2012. Indian Pediatr. 2013 Mar;50(3):301-6.
16. Bains L, Lal P, Chand T, Gautam KK, Beg MY, Kumar P. Isolated primary cold abscess of the sternum: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2019 Aug 25;13(1):267.
|How to Cite this Article: Basa VR, Thete R, Singhal T | Sternal Tuberculosis in an Infant: The Presenting Feature of Disseminated Disease | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | September- December 2021; 7(3): 42-45.|