Volume 7 | Issue 1 | January-April 2021 | Page: 06-09 | Sanjay Kumar Meena, Ashok Tiwari, Dinesh Kumar Bairwa, Bharat Sharma
Authors: Sanjay Kumar Meena MS Orth. , Ashok Tiwari MS Orth. ,
Dinesh Kumar Bairwa MS Orth. , Bharat Sharma MS Orth. 
 Department of Orthopaedic, Government Medical College, Kota, Rajasthan.
 Department of Orthopaedic, Government Medical College, Pali, Rajasthan.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Meena,
Senior Resident, Department of Orthopaedic, Government Medical College, Kota, Rajasthan.
Introduction: Supracondylar fractures of the humerus are the most frequently occurring elbow fractures in children. They account for approximately 50-70% of all fractures around the elbow. The peak incidence is between 5 and 6 years of age. The incidence of supracondylar fractures amongst girls are on the rise.
Patients and Methods: 75 patients with a closed supracondylar humerus fracture were treated by closed reduction and percutaneous crossed Kirschner wire fixation (2 lateral and one medial entry) technique. All fractures were treated by general orthopaedic surgeons with no specialised training in paediatric orthopaedic surgery.
Results: Out of the 71 children available for follow-up, the outcomes were excellent in 55 patients, good in10, fair in 4, and poor in 2 patients.
Conclusions: We found closed reduction and percutaneous cross-pinning for the treatment of Type II and III supracondylar fractures of humerus in children (Modified Gartland Classification) to be an effective method of treatment. The outcomes obtained in our study suggest that childhood supracondylar humerus fractures can be managed successfully by general orthopaedic surgeons with comparable results to those achieved in tertiary centres dedicated to paediatric orthopaedic care.
Keywords: Children; Humerus; Supracondylar fracture.
1. Pathania VP, Dubey N, Gupta S. Treatment of Displaced Supracondylar Fracture of Humerus in Children by Lateral Entry Pinning versus Cross Pinning. Int J Sci Stud 2016;4(1):70-74.
2. Cheng JC, Lam TP, Maffulli N. Epidemiological features of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in Chinese children. J PediatrOrthop B, 2001;10(1):63-67.
3. Cheng JC, Lam TP, Shen WY. Closed reduction and percutaneous pinning for type III displaced supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children. J Orthop Trauma 1995; 9(6):511-515.
4. Farnsworth CL, Silva PD, Mubarak SJ. Etiology of supracondylar humerus fractures. J PediatrOrthop 1998;18(1):38-42.
5. Higaki T, Ikuta Y. The new operation method of the dome osteotomy for four children with varus deformity of the elbow joint. J JpnOrthop 1982;31:300-335
6. Minkowitz B 1. Busch MT. Supracondylar fracture of humerus,current trends and controversies. Orthop Clin North Am1994;25:581-94
7. Pirone A, Graham HK, Krajbich JI (1988) Management of displaced extension-type supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am 70:641–650 3.
8. Howard A, Mulpuri K, Abel MF et al (2012) The treatment of pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 20:320–327 4.
9. Skaggs DL, Sankar WN, Albrektson J et al (2008) How safe is the operative treatment of Gartland type 2 supracondylar humerus fractures in children? J Pediatr Orthop 28:139–141
10. Tellisi N, Abusetta G, Day M et al (2004) Management of Gartland’s type III supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children: the role audit and practice guidelines. Injury 35:1167– 1171
11. Khan MS, Sultan S, Ali MA, Khan A et al 2005) Comparison of percutaneous pinning with casting in supracondylar humeral fractures in children. 17(2):33-6.
12. Muhammad Salim, ZakaUllah Malik, Ejaz Ashraf Mallhiet al (2013)Outcome of Close Reduction and Percutaneous Pinning In Displaced Pediatric Supracondylar Fracture of Humerus Assessed By Flynn’s Criteria, Journal of Surgery Pakistan (International). 18(3) :121124
13. Khan-D, Khan-A, Amanullah -Aet al(2016) outcome of closed reduction and percutaneous pinning in supracondylar type 11 and type 111 fractures in children Gomal J Medi Sci . 14:67-70
14. Swenson AL et al(1948) The treatment of supracondylarfractures of the humerus by Kirshner wire transfixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 30A(4):993-7.
15. Webb AJ, Sherman FC et al (1989) Supracondylar fracturesof the humerus in children. J PediatrOrthop .9(3):315-25.
16. Boyd DW, Aronson DD et al(1992) Supracondylar fracturesof the humerus: a prospective study of percutaneouspinning. J PediatrOrthop . 12:789-94.
17. Mehserle WL, Meehan PL,et al (1991) Treatment of the displaced displaced supracondylar fracture of the humerus(type III) with closed reduction and percutaneous cross-pin fixation. J PediatrOrthop .11(6):705-11
18. Awal Hakeem, Naji Ullah Khan, Tamjeed Gul, Faheem Ullah et al( 2010 ) Closed reduction and percutaneous pinning with crossed k- wire in type 111 supracondylar fracture of humerus in children Pak J Surg . 26(1):10-12
19. Rajesh Govindasamy1*, Ramkumar Gnanasundaram2, Saravanan Kasirajan1,Fawas Thonikadavath1, Rajeev K. Tiwari et al(2016) Cross pinning versus lateral pinning in type III supracondylar fracture a retrospective analysisInternational Journal of Research in Orthopaedics .2(3):138-142
20. Vito Pavone*, Maria Riccioli, Gianluca Testa, Ludovico Lucenti, Claudia de Cristo, GiuseppeCondorelli, surgical treatment of displaced supracondylar pediatric humerus fractures:Comparison of two pinning technique,Journal of functional morphology and kinesiology. 1:39–47
21. Yadagiri Surender Rao, Manoj Chakravorthy, Yadagiri et al (2015) A study of percutaneous k wire fixation in supracondylar fracture of humerus in children J Med Allied Sci .5(1):6-9
22. Khurram barlas, TajeshbagAet al (2005) Medial approach for fixation of displaced supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children ,Acta Orthop. Belg.71:149-153.
23. Alfonso Vaquero-Picado, et al (2018) Management of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children journal of Efort Open Rev .3(10):526-540
24. Dr. Praveen.S.K1, Dr.Venkatachalam.K, Dr. Mani Arumugam1, , Dr. Prakash Karrun, et a l(2016) A prospective study of the functional and cosmetic outcome of supracondylar fracture of humerus in children treated by percutaneous pinning and orif with kirschner wires scholars Academic Journal of Biosciences.4(10B):934-951.
|How to Cite this Article: Meena SK, Tiwari A, Bairwa DK, Sharma B | Supracondylar Humerus Fracturetreated With Closed Reduction and Percutaneous Cross Pinning Technique in Children | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | January-April 2021; 7(1): 06-09.|