Volume 7 | Issue 2 | May-August 2021 | Page: 30-34 | Sandeep Patwardhan, Arkesh Madegowda
Authors: Sandeep Patwardhan , Arkesh Madegowda 
 Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, Sancheti Institute of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Pune Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr Sandeep Patwardhan,
Professor, Paediatric Orthopaedic surgeon, Sancheti Institute of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Lateral condyle fractures of humerus are one of the common elbow injuries seen in children. These fractures are often difficult to visualise as fracture line passes through unossified cartilage and may need additional investigations to properly assess the fracture pattern. Non operative management is generally indicated for fractures having <2mm displacement. Closed reduction and percutaneous pinning is recommended for those fractures with >2mm displacement and loss of articular cartilage hinge. Intraoperative arthrogram helps to confirm the fracture reduction and restoration of congruent articular surface. Open reduction and fixation may become necessary for fractures with gross displacement and malrotation of the fragment. Complications of lateral condyle fractures include delayed presentation, malunion, lateral spurring and fishtail deformity.
Keywords: Lateral condyle fractures, Internal oblique view, Arthrogram, Aartilage hinge, Displacement.
1. Bhandari M, Tornetta P and Swiontkowksi MF The Evidence-Based Orthopaedic Trauma Working Group. Displaced lateral condyle fractures of the distal humerus. J Orthop Trauma 2003; 17: 306–308.
2.Hardacre JA, Nahigian SH, Froimson AI and Brown JE.Fractures of the lateral condyle of the humerus in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1971; 53: 1083–1095.
3.Song KS, Kang CH, Min BW, Bae KC, Cho CH. Internal oblique radiographs for diagnosis of nondisplaced or minimally displaced lateral condylar fractures of the humerus in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Jan;89(1):58-63.
4. Horn BD, Herman MJ, Crisci K, Pizzutillo PD, MacEwen GD. Fractures of the lateral humeral condyle: role of the cartilage hinge in fracture stability. J Pediatr Orthop. 2002 Jan-Feb;22(1):8-11
5. Kamegaya M, Shinohara Y, Kurokawa M, Ogata S. Assessment of stability in children’s minimally displaced lateral humeral condyle fracture by magnetic resonance imaging. J Pediatr Orthop. 1999 Sep-Oct;19(5):570-2.
6. Song KS, Kang CH, Min BW, Bae KC, Cho CH, Lee JH: Closed reduction and internal fixation of displaced unstable lateral condylar fractures of the humerus in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008;90:2673-2681.
7.Weiss JM, Graves S, Yang S, Mendelsohn E, Kay RM, Skaggs DL: A new classification system predictive of complications in surgically treated pediatric humeral lateral condyle fractures. J Pediatr Orthop 2009;29:602-605.
8. Qin YF, Li ZJ, Li CK, Bai SC, Li H. Unburied versus buried wires for fixation of pediatric lateral condyle distal humeral fractures: A meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017 Aug;96(34):e7736.
9. McGonagle L, Elamin S, Wright DM. Buried or unburied K-wires for lateral condyle elbow fractures. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2012 Oct;94(7):513-6.
10. Xie LW, Wang J, Deng ZQ, Zhao RH, Chen W, Kang C, Ye JJ, Liu X, Zhou Y, Shen H. Treatment of pediatric lateral condylar humerus fractures with closed reduction and percutaneous pinning. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2020 Oct 27;21(1):707.
11. Abzug JM, Dua K, Kozin SH, Herman MJ. Current Concepts in the Treatment of Lateral Condyle Fractures in Children. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020 Jan 1;28(1):e9-e19.
12. Tomori Y, Nanno M, Takai S. Anterolateral approach for lateral humeral condylar fractures in children: Clinical results. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018 Sep;97(39):e12563.
13. Skak SV, Olsen SD, Smaabrekke A:Deformity after fracture of the lateral humeral condyle in children. J Pediatr Orthop B 2001;10:142-152.
14. Park H, Hwang JH, Kwon YU, Kim HW: Osteosynthesis in situ for lateral condyle nonunion in children. J Pediatr Orthop 2015;35:334-340.
15. Liu TJ,Wang EB, DaiQ, Zhang LJ, Li QW, Zhao Q: Open reduction and internal fixation for the treatment of fractures of the lateral humeral condyle with an early delayed presentation in children: A radiological and clinical prospective study. Bone Joint J 2016;98-B:244-248.
16. Agarwal A, Qureshi NA, Gupta N, Verma I, Pandey DK: Management of neglected lateral condyle fractures of humerus in children: A retrospective study. Indian J Orthop 2012;46:698-704.
17. Narayanan S, Shailam R, Grottkau BE, Nimkin K: Fishtail deformity: A delayed complication of distal humeral fractures in children. Pediatr Radiol 2015;45:814-819.
18. Cates RA, Mehlman CT: Growth arrest of the capitellar physis after displaced lateral condyle fractures in children. J Pediatr Orthop 2012;32:e57-e62.
|How to Cite this Article: Patwardhan S, Madegowda A | Management of Acute Lateral Condyle Fractures of Humerus | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | May-August 2021; 7(2): 30-34.|