Volume 8 | Issue 1 | January-April 2022 | Page: 43-46 | Harsharan Singh Oberoi, Baldish Singh Oberoi
Authors: Harsharan Singh Oberoi MS, DNB Ortho , Baldish Singh Oberoi MS Ortho, MPH 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Oberoi Hospital, Jalandhar City, Punjab, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Baldish Singh Oberoi
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Oberoi Hospital, Jalandhar City, Punjab, India.
Streeter’s dysplasia is a rare condition that occurs in 1 in 1200 to 1 in 15000 live births. Timely intervention is the key in saving the limb in vascular compromised cases. A 7 days old neonate presented with Streeter’s Dysplasia with a grossly swollen, deformed and cyanosed foot. The deformity was a clubfoot deformity. There was a circumferential amniotic constriction band in the lower third left leg, causing a vascular compromise leading to bluish discoloration and gross swelling of the foot and toes. There was another semicircular band in the mid-foot region. One stage urgent circumferential band excision and multiple Z plasties for skin cover were done. The foot and the toes turned pink immediately. The swollen foot was treated by debulking of the foot and the clubfoot deformity by the Ponseti method.
Keywords: Streeter’s dysplasia, Vascular compromise, Constriction ring, One stage release, Clubfoot, Debulking
1. Quintero RA, Morales WJ, Phillips J, Kalter CS, Angel JL. In utero lysis of amniotic bands. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1997 Nov;10(5):316-20.
2. Patterson TJ. Congenital ring-constrictions. Br J Plast Surg. 1961 Apr;14:1-31.
3. Tada K, Yonenobu K, Swanson AB. Congenital constriction band syndrome. J Pediatr Orthop. 1984 Nov;4(6):726-30.
4. Baker CJ, Rudolph AJ. Congenital ring constrictions and intrauterine amputations. Am J Dis Child. 1971 May;121(5):393-400.
5. Naqvi ZG, Rao I, Anwer W, Yaseen T. Two-stage release in Streeter’s dysplasia. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Apr 21;2015:bcr2014207568.
6. Chiu DTW, Patel A, Sakamoto S, Chu A. The Impact of Microsurgery on Congenital Hand Anomalies Associated with Amniotic Band Syndrome. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Apr 4;6(4):e1657.
7. Streeter GL. Focal deficiencies in fetal tissues and their relation to intrauterine amputations. Contrib. Embryol. 1930;22:1-44.
8. Torpin R. Amniochorionic mesoblastic fibrous strings and amnionic bands: associated constricting fetal malformations or fetal death. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1965 Jan 1;91:65-75.
9. Hata T, Tanaka H, Noguchi J. 3D/4D sonographic evaluation of amniotic band syndrome in early pregnancy: a supplement to 2D ultrasound. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2011 Jun;37(6):656-60.
10. Pedersen TK, Thomsen SG. Spontaneous resolution of amniotic bands. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2001 Dec;18(6):673-4.
11. Alabdrabalnabi FI, Elsaid AS, Alsinan FM, Almushrif HA, Nasr MA, Elashaal E, Aljehani RK. Early release of constricting amniotic band of the lower limb followed by reconstruction using multiple Z-plasty. J Pediatr Surg. Case Rep. 2021 Dec 1;75:102054.
12. Dufournier B, Guero S, de Tienda M, Dana C, Garcelon N, Glorion C, Salon A, Pannier S. One-stage circumferential limb ring constriction release and direct circular skin closure in amniotic band syndrome: a 14-case series. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2020 Nov;106(7):1353-9.
13. Carpiaux AM, Hosseinzadeh P, Muchow RD, Iwinski HJ, Walker JL, Milbrandt TA. The Effectiveness of the Ponseti Method for Treating Clubfoot Associated With Amniotic Band Syndrome. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Apr-May;36(3):284-8.
14. Basheer SM, Karashi AR, Abdulbasith M. Single stage release of bilateral amniotic band syndrome. Bahrain Med.Bull. 2019 Mar 1;41(1):38-41.
15. Waiswa G, Nassaazi J, Kajja I. Single stage release surgery for congenital constriction band in a clubfoot patient managed at a Teaching Hospital In Uganda: A case report. East Afr. Orthop J. 2020 Nov 12;14(2):99-101.
|How to Cite this Article: Oberoi HS, Oberoi BS| One-Stage Emergency Surgical Release of Amniotic Constriction Band in Streeter’s Dysplasia with Clubfoot- A Case Report | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | January-April 2022; 8(1): 43-46.|