Volume 7 | Issue 1 | January-April 2021 | Page: 37-44 | Parag B. Lad, Nischal Naik, Bharat K. Kadadi, P. S. Bhandari, Mukund R. Thatte
Authors: Parag B. Lad D Ortho., MS Ortho. , Nischal Naik M.Ch. , Bharat K. Kadadi MS Ortho. ,
P. S. Bhandari M.Ch. , Mukund R. Thatte M.Ch. 
 Jupiter Hospital, Thane, Maharashtra, India.
 Divyam Hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
 Bengaluru Hand Centre & Manipal Hospitals, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
 Brij Lal Super specialty Hospital, Haldwani, Nainital, Uttarakhand, India.
 Bombay Hospital & Medical Research Centre, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Mukund R Thatte,
Plastic Surgeon, Bombay Hospital & Medical Research Centre, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
This article discusses the role of primary nerve surgery for Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy (BPBP). Spontaneous recovery in brachial plexus birth palsy is known and in such cases the prognosis is good. However, the incidence of such recovery is 30 – 90%. In some infants however, the course of motor recovery is inadequate necessitating nerve repair. BPBP presents clinically as a lower motor neuron type of upper limb monoplegia at birth. Indications of primary nerve reconstruction or distal nerve transfer, the technique of exploration of brachial plexus, common anatomical variations and the methods for identification of intact roots are discussed in detail.
Keywords: Primary nerve reconstruction, Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy (BPBP), Nerve transfer, co-contractions, Brachial plexus surgery.
1. Pondaag W, Malessy MJ, van Dijk JG, Thomeer RT. Natural history of obstetric brachial plexus palsy: a systematic review. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2004;46(2):138-144.
2. Kao JT, Sharma S, Curtis CG, Clarke HM. The role of the brachioradialis H reflex in the management and prognosis of obstetrical brachial plexus palsy. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2003;35(2):106-111.
3. Thatte MR, Mehta R. Obstetric brachial plexus injury. Indian J Plast Surg. 2011;44(3):380-389.
4. Somashekar D, Yang LJ, Ibrahim M, Parmar HA. High-resolution MRI evaluation of neonatal brachial plexus palsy: A promising alternative to traditional CT myelography. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2014;35(6):1209-1213
5. Vanderhave KL, Bovid K, Alpert H, et al. Utility of electrodiagnostic testing and computed tomography myelography in the preoperative evaluation of neonatal brachial plexus palsy. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2012;9(3):283-289.
6. Narakas AO. Obstetrical brachial plexus injury. The paralyzed hand. 1987.
7. Kawabata H, Shibata T, Matsui Y, Yasui N. Use of intercostal nerves for neurotization of the musculocutaneous nerve in infants with birth-related brachial plexus palsy. J Neurosurg. 2001;94(3):386-391
8. Kendall FP, McCreary EK, Provance PG, Rodgers M, Romani WA. Muscles, testing and function: with posture and pain. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins; 1993.
9. Curtis C, Stephens D, Clarke HM, Andrews D. The active movement scale: an evaluative tool for infants with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy. The Journal of hand surgery. 2002 May 1;27(3):470-1.
10. Gilbert A, Raimondi P. Indications of Plexus Reconstruction in Obstetrical Paralysis. Journal of Peripheral Nerve Surgery (Volume 2, No. 1, July 2018).;2:9.
11. Borschel GH, Clarke HM. Obstetrical brachial plexus palsy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009;124(1 Suppl):144e-155e.
12. Waters PM. Obstetric brachial plexus injuries: evaluation and management. JAAOS-Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 1997 Jul 1;5(4):205-14.
13. Al-Qattan MM. The outcome of Erb’s palsy when the decision to operate is made at 4 months of age. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;106(7):1461-1465.
14. Lee HY, Chung IH, Sir WS, et al. Variations of the ventral rami of the brachial plexus. J Korean Med Sci. 1992;7(1):19-24.
15. Roger Cornwall, Peter M Waters. Pediatric Brachial Plexus Surgery. Text book of Green’s operative hand surgery,7th Edition, Elsevier,2017;1391-1424.
16. Emamhadi M, Chabok SY, Samini F, et al. Anatomical Variations of Brachial Plexus in Adult Cadavers; A Descriptive Study. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2016;4(3):253-258.
17. Thatte MR, Agashe M, Rathod C, Lad P, Mehta R. An approach to the supraclavicular and infraclavicular aspects of the brachial plexus. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2011;15(3):188-197.
18. Thatte MR, A Hiremath, N Nayak. “Obstetric Brachial Plexus Palsy. Diagnosis and Management Strategy.” Journal of Peripheral Nerve Surgery (Volume 1, No. 1, July 2017) 2: 9.
19. Malessy MJ, Pondaag W. Nerve repair/reconstruction strategies for neonatal brachial plexus palsies. Practical Management of Pediatric and Adult Brachial Plexus Palsies E-Book. 2011 Aug 22;6:86.
20. Gilbert A, Tassin JL. Réparationchirurgicale du plexus brachial dans la paralysieobstétricale [Surgical repair of the brachial plexus in obstetric paralysis]. Chirurgie. 1984;110(1):70-75.
21. Pondaag W, Malessy MJ. The evidence for nerve repair in obstetric brachial plexus palsy revisited. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:434619.
22. Gilbert A. Long-term evaluation of brachial plexus surgery in obstetrical palsy. Hand Clin. 1995;11(4):583-595.
23. Oberlin C, Béal D, Leechavengvongs S, et al. Nerve transfer to biceps muscle using a part of ulnar nerve for C5-C6 avulsion of the brachial plexus: anatomical study and report of four cases. J Hand Surg Am. 1994;19(2):232-237.
24. Thatte MR, Nayak NS, Hiremath AS. Management of Birth Brachial Plexus Injury Including Use of Distal Nerve Transfers. J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2020;25(3):267-275.
25. Ghanghurde BA, Mehta R, Ladkat KM, Raut BB, Thatte MR. Distal transfers as a primary treatment in obstetric brachial plexus palsy: a series of 20 cases. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2016;41(8):875-881.
26. Tse R, Kozin SH, Malessy MJ, Clarke HM. International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand Committee report: the role of nerve transfers in the treatment of neonatal brachial plexus palsy. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(6):1246-1259.
27. Gilbert A. Long-term evaluation of brachial plexus surgery in obstetrical palsy. Hand Clin. 1995;11(4):583-595.
28. Al-Qattan MM, Clarke HM, Curtis CG. The prognostic value of concurrent Horner’s syndrome in total obstetric brachial plexus injury. J Hand Surg Br. 2000;25(2):166-167.
29. Chen L, Gu YD, Hu SN, Xu JG, Xu L, Fu Y. Contralateral C7 transfer for the treatment of brachial plexus root avulsions in children – a report of 12 cases. J Hand Surg Am. 2007;32(1):96-103.
30. Gilbert A. Results of repair to the obstetrical plexus. Brachial plexus injuries. London: Martin Duniz. 2001 Jun 21:211-5.
|How to Cite this Article: Lad PB, Naik N, Kadadi BK, Bhandari PS, Thatte MR | Primary Nerve Reconstruction in Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy: Current Concepts | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | January-April 2021; 7(1): 37-44.|