Volume 8 | Issue 2 | May-August 2022 | Page: 11-15 | K Venkatadass, V Durga Prasad, Deepak Jain, S Rajasekaran
Authors: K Venkatadass MS Orth , V Durga Prasad D Orth , Deepak Jain MS Orth , S Rajasekaran MS Orth 
 Department of Orthopaedics & Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. K Venkatadass,
Consultant & Head of Paediatric Orthopaedics, Department of Orthopaedics & Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Concomitant tibia shaft and ipsilateral triplane fracture in the paediatric population is a known but uncommon presentation. After the first report in 2001, approximately 27 cases have been reported to date. We aimed to do a comprehensive literature review and to present our experience with these rare fractures. We report three such cases of distal-third spiral tibial fractures with three-part triplane fracture. The average age was 15.3 years. The average Body mass index was 31.3 kg/m2. Two patients underwent rigid intramedullary locking nail for shaft fractures, and one patient underwent Ender’s nailing. All triplane fractures were fixed with percutaneous screws. There were no intraoperative or postoperative complications. The average union time was 10.6 weeks. We highlight the patient and injury characteristics in these fractures. A high index of suspicion of an associated ankle fracture is needed in obese adolescents presenting with distal-third tibia fractures. Tibia fractures demand rigid internal fixation whenever possible due to associated obesity.
Keywords: Concomitant, Ipsilateral, Triplane, Tibia, Shaft, Ankle Fracture, Obesity
1. Kempegowda H, Maniar HH, Richard R, et al. (2016) Posterior Malleolar Fractures Associated with Tibial Shaft Fractures and Sequence of Fixation. J Orthop Trauma, 30(10):568-571.
2. Jarvis JG, Miyanji F. (2001) The Complex Triplane Fracture: Ipsilateral Tibial Shaft and Distal Triplane Fracture: The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection, and Critical Care, 51(4):714-716.
3. Holland TS, Prior CP, Walton RD. (2018) Distal tibial triplane fracture with ipsilateral tibial shaft fracture: A case series. Surgeon, 16(6):333-338.
4. Kasture S, Azurza K. (2017) Triplane Ankle Fracture with Concomitant Ipsilateral Shaft of Tibia Fracture: Case Report and Review of Literature. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports, 7(3):4.
5. Sprenger De Rover WB, Alazzawi S, Hallam PJ, Walton NP. (2011) Ipsilateral tibial shaft fracture and distal tibial triplane fracture with an intact fibula: a case report. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong), 19(3):364-6.
6. Sferopoulos NK. (2018) Concomitant tibia shaft and triplane fractures. International Journal of Radiology, 5(1):197-201.
7. Sheffer BW, Villarreal ED, Iii MGO, Sawyer JR, Spence DD, Kelly DM. (2019) Concurrent Ipsilateral Tibial Shaft and Distal Tibial Fractures in Pediatric Patients: Risk Factors, Frequency, and Risk of Missed Diagnosis. J Pediatr Orthop., 40(1):5.
8. Durga Prasad V, Sangeet G, Venkatadass K, Rajasekaran S. (2021) Ender’s nailing of displaced tibia shaft fractures in children – A nine-year experience. Injury, 52(4):837-843.
9. Rogers GP, Tan HB, Foster P, Harwood P. (2019) Complex Tibial Shaft Fractures in Children Involving the Distal Physis Managed with the Ilizarov Method. Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr., 14(1):20-24.
10. Rico-Pecero J, Dwyer A. (2009) Triplane fracture of the ankle associated with homolateral tibial fracture in a teenager. A case report. Revista Española de Cirugía Ortopédica y Traumatología (English Edition), 53(4):254-256.
11. Stuermer EK, Stuermer KM. (2008) Tibial shaft fracture and ankle joint injury. J Orthop Trauma, 22(2):107-112.
12. Ertl JP, Barrack RL, Alexander AH, Van Buecken K. Triplane fracture of the distal tibial epiphysis. Long-term follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1988 Aug;70(7):967-76. PMID: 3403587.
13. Lurie, B., Van Rysselberghe, N., Pennock, A. T., & Upasani, V. V. (2020). Functional outcomes of tillaux and triplane fractures with 2 to 5 millimetres of intra-articular gap. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 102(8), 679–686.
14. El-Karef E, Sadek HI, Nairn DS, Aldam CH, Allen PW. Triplane fracture of the distal tibia. Injury. 2000 Nov;31(9):729-36. Doi: 10.1016/s0020-1383(00)00086-3. PMID: 11084162.
|How to Cite this Article: K Venkatadass, V Durga Prasad, Jain D, S Rajasekaran | Concomitant Tibia Shaft And Triplane Fracture in Adolescents: A Case Series With Comprehensive Review Of Literature | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | May-August 2022; 8(2): 11-15.