Volume 4 | Issue 1 | January-June 2018 | Page: 38-40 | Kiran Sasi, Binu P Thomas
Authors: Kiran Sasi, Binu P Thomas
Department of Hand Surgery, Dr. Paul Brand Centre for Hand Surgery and Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Binu P Thomas,
Dr. Paul Brand Centre for Hand Surgery and Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore – 632 004, Tamil Nadu, India.
Distal femoral metaphyseal fracture is a common injury faced by paediatric orthopaedic surgeons. This injury is usually managed with closed reduction and percutaneous Kirschner wire fixation. We present an unusual case wherein the common peroneal nerve was completely severed and entrapped in the fracture site following closed reduction and percutaneous Kirschner wire fixation of a distal femoral metaphyseal fracture.
Keywords: Distal femur fracture, Foot drop, Nerve entrapment
1. Cooper C, Dennison EM, Leufkens HG, Bishop N, van Staa TP. Epidemiology of childhood fractures in Britain: A study using the general practice research database. J Bone Miner Res 2004;19:1976-81.
2. Lyons RA, Delahunty AM, Kraus D, Heaven M, McCabe M, Allen H et al. Children’s fractures: A population based study. Inj Prevent 1999;5:129-32.
3. Flynn JM, Skaggs D, Sponseller PD, Ganley TD, Kay RM, Leitch KK. The operative management of pediatric fractures of the lower extremity. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002;84:2288-300.
4. Thomson JD, Stricker SJ, Williams MM. Fractures of the distal femoral epiphyseal plate. J Pediatr Orthop 1995;15:474-8.
5. Canale TS, Tolo VT. Fractures of the femur in children. Instr Course Lect 1995;44:255-73.
6. Srinivasan J, Ryan MM, Escolar DM, Darras B, Jones HR. Pediatric sciatic neuropathies: A 30-year prospective study. Neurology 2011;76:976-80.
7. Clawson DK, Seddon HJ. The results of repair of the sciatic nerve. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1960;42-B:205-12.
8. Holstein A, Lewis GB. Fractures of the humerus with radial-nerve paralysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1963;45:1382-8.
9. Kim DH, Murovic JA, Tiel R, Kline DG. Management and outcomes in 353 surgically treated sciatic nerve lesions. J Neurosurg 2004;101:8-17.
|How to Cite this Article: Sasi K, Thomas BP | Common peroneal nerve entrapment during closed reduction and percutaneous pinning of paediatric distal femur fracture: Surgeons be aware! | January-June 2018; 4(1): 38- 40.