Volume 7 | Issue 2 | May-August 2021 | Page: 24-29 | Taral V Nagda, Avi Shah, Dhwanil Tada
Authors: Taral V Nagda , Avi Shah , Dhwanil Tada 
 Department of Orthopaedics, SRCC NH Childrens Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Taral Nagda,
Consultant Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon, SRCC NH Children’s Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
The lateral condyle fractures which form less than 20% of paediatric elbow fractures are seen at average 6 years age and have less severity of signs and symptoms which may lead to delayed diagnosis. Internal rotation view of X-ray of elbow is important in addition to standard AP and Lateral views. Jakob, Weiss and Song are commonly used classification systems in decision making.
Keywords: Lateral condyle fracture, Children, Classification, Anatomy, Diagnosis.
1. Abzug JM, Dua K, Kozin SH, Herman MJ. Current concepts in the treatment of lateral condyle fractures in children. JAAOS-Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2020 Jan 1;28(1):e9-19.
2. Baker M, Borland M. Range of elbow movement as a predictor of bony injury in children. Emergency Medicine Journal. 2011 Aug 1;28(8):666-9.
3. Finnbogason T, Karlsson G, Lindberg L, Mortensson W. Nondisplaced and minimally displaced fractures of the lateral humeral condyle in children: a prospective radiographic investigation of fracture stability. J Pediatr Orthop. 1995;15:422–5.
4. Flynn JC, Richards JF, Saltzman RI. Prevention and treatment of non-union of slightly displaced fractures of the lateral humeral condyle in children. An end-result study. J Bone Jt Surg Am.1975;57:1087–92.
5. Herman MJ, Boardman MJ, Hoover JR, Chafetz RS. Relationship of the anterior humeral line to the capitellar ossific nucleus: variability with age. JBJS. 2009 Sep 1;91(9):2188-93
6. Houshian S, Mehdi B, Larsen MS. The epidemiology of elbow fracture in children: analysis of 355 fractures, with special reference to supracondylar humerus fractures. J Orthop Sci. 2001;6:312–5. https ://doi.org/10.1007/s0077 61006 0312.
7. Jakob R, Fowles JV, Rang M, Kassab MT. Observations concerning fractures of the lateral humeral condyle in children. J Bone Jt Surg Br. 1975;57:430–6.
8. Landin LA, Danielsson LG. Elbow fractures in children. Anepidemiological analysis of 589 cases. Acta Orthop Scand. 1986;57:309–12.
9. Pressmar J, Weber B, Kalbitz M. Different classifications concerning fractures of the lateral humeral condyle in children. European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery. 2020 Apr 23:1-7.
10. Ramo BA, Funk SS, Elliott ME, Jo CH. The Song classification is reliable and guides prognosis and treatment for pediatric lateral condyle fractures: an independent validation study with treatment algorithm. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2020 Mar 1;40(3):e203-9.
11. Schroeder K, Gilbert S, Ellington M, Souder C, Yang S. Pediatric Lateral Humeral Condyle Fractures. JPOSNA. 2020 May 3;2(1).
12. Song KS, Kang CH, Min BW, Bae KC, Cho CH, Lee JH. Closed reduction and internal fixation of displaced unstable lateral condylar fractures of the humerus in children. JBJS. 2008 Dec 1;90(12):2673-81.
13. Song KS, Kang CH, Min BW, Bae KC, Cho CH. Internal oblique radiographs for diagnosis of nondisplaced or minimally displaced lateral condylar fractures of the humerus in children. JBJS. 2007 Jan 1;89(1):58-63.
14. Song KS, Waters PM. Lateral condylar humerus fractures: which ones should we fix? Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2012 Jun 1;32:S5-9.
15. Tan SH, Dartnell J, Lim AK, Hui JH. Paediatric lateral condyle fractures: a systematic review. Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery. 2018 Jun 1;138(6):809-17.
16. Tan SHS, Dartnell J, Lim AKS, Hui JH. Paediatric lateral condyle fractures: A systematic review. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2018;138(6):809–17.
17. Weiss JM, Graves S, Yang S, Mendelsohn E, Kay RM, Skaggs DL. A new classification system predictive of complications in surgically treated pediatric humeral lateral condyle fractures. J Pediar Orthop. 2009 Sep 1;29(6):602-5.
|How to Cite this Article: Nagda TV, Shah A, Tada D | ABCD of Lateral Condyle Humerus Fracture in Children: Anatomy, Biomechanics, Classification and Diagnosis | International Journal of Paediatric
Orthopaedics | May-August 2021; 7(2): 24-29.