Volume 7 | Issue 1 | January-April 2021 | Page: 22-26 | Mudit Shah, Amin Shah, Mandar Agashe
Authors: Mudit Shah MBBS, MS Ortho. , Amin Shah MBBS, MS Ortho., Mandar Agashe MBBS, MS Ortho.
 Director and CEO, Sapna Healthcare centre, Ghatkopar west, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
 Fellow of Paediatric Orthopaedic, Dr. Agashe`s Maternity & Surgical Nursing Home, Kurla west, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
 Consultant paediatric Orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Agashe`s Maternity & Surgical Nursing Home, Kurla west, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Mandar Agashe,
Consultant paediatric Orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Agashe`s Maternity & Surgical Nursing Home, Kurla west, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Intra-articular patella dislocations are uncommon, but the majority of cases can be reduced by closed methods. We present a rare case that required open reduction and highlight the reasons and present a review of the same.
We describe a rare case of horizontal intra-articular patella dislocation associated with an intact periosteal sleeve and extensor retinaculum in a 13-year-old boy requiring open reduction.
Horizontal intra-articular patellar dislocation is an uncommon injury, especially in the adolescent age group. Open reduction should only be performed if closed reduction is unsuccessful.
Keywords: Horizontal intra-articular dislocation of patella, Intact periosteal sleeve, Open reduction.
1. Pagdal S, Lande O, Jadhav U. Intra-articular dislocation of patella reduced by closed method – A rare case report. J Clin Orthop trauma [Internet]. 2016;7(Suppl 1):118–20. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2016.03.002.
2. Uluyardımcı E, Bozkurt İ, Öçgüder DA, Yalçın N. Unusual Horizontal Patellar Dislocation Reduced without General Anesthesia. JBJS Case Connect [Internet]. 2019 Jan;9(1):e2. Available from: http://insights.ovid.com/crossref an=01709767-201903000-00003.
3. Rangdal S, Bachhal V, Vashisht S, Dhillon MS. Intra-articular dislocation of the patella: a rare variant to an uncommon injury. BMJ Case Rep [Internet]. 2019 Apr 24;12(4). Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31023730.
4. Shaw DL, Giannoudis P V., Archer IA. Intra-articular dislocation of patella. Injury [Internet]. 1995 May;26(4):273–4. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7649634.
5. Bashir S, Manan A, Wani D, Tantray O, Beigh M, Sharma R. Bilateral intra-articular dislocation of patella in an elderly: a rare presentation. Internet J Orthop Surg. 2010;19(1).
6. Fithian DC, Paxton EW, Stone M Lou, Silva P, Davis DK, Elias DA, et al. Epidemiology and natural history of acute patellar dislocation. Am J Sports Med [Internet]. 32(5):1114–21. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15262631.
7. Kramer DE, Simoni MK. Horizontal intra-articular patellar dislocation resulting in quadriceps avulsion and medial patellofemoral ligament tear: a case report. J Pediatr Orthop B [Internet]. 2013 Jul;22(4):329–32. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22828187.
8. Tsai C-H, Hsu C-J, Hung C-H, Hsu H-C. Primary traumatic patellar dislocation. J Orthop Surg Res [Internet]. 2012;7(1):21. Available from: http://josr-online.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1749-799X-7-21.
9. Venkatesh Gupta SK, H P P, Prathik R, Jeetesh L. Traumatic Intra-articular Intercondylar Dislocation of the Patella Reduced by the Closed Method with Open Quadriceps Repair in an Adolescent: A Rare Case Report. Cureus [Internet]. 2018 Dec 8; Available from: https://www.cureus.com/articles/14706-traumatic-intra-articular-intercondylar-dislocation-of-the-patella-reduced-by-the-closed-method-with-open-quadriceps-repair-in-an-adolescent-a-rare-case-report.
10. McHugh G, Ryan E, Cleary M, Kenny P, O’Flanagan S, Keogh P. Intra-Articular Dislocation of the Patella. Case Rep Orthop [Internet]. 2013;2013:1–3. Available from: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crior/2013/535803/
11. Al Khalifa A, Syed K. Intra-articular dislocation of patella with femoral impaction—A case report and review of literature. Int J Surg Case Rep [Internet]. 2019;59:176–9. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijscr.2019.05.041.
12. van den Broek TAA, Moil PJ. Horizontal rotation of the patella: A case report with review of the literature. Acta Orthop Scand [Internet]. 1985 Jan 8;56(5):436–8. Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/17453678508994367.
13. Berenger V, Pesenti S, Ollivier M, Buord J-M, Pinelli P-O. Traumatic inter-condylar dislocation of the patella: Report of two cases. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res [Internet]. 2013 Dec;99(8):979–81. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1877056813002077.
14. Potini VC, Gehrmann RM. Intra-Articular Dislocation of the Patella With Associated Hoffa Fracture in a Skeletally Immature Patient. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) [Internet]. 2015 Jun;44(6):E195-8. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26047005.
|How to Cite this Article: Shah M, Shah A, Agashe M | Horizontal Intra-articular dislocation of patella with intact periosteal sleeve in an adolescent: Case report and review of literature | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | January-April 2021; 7(1): 22-26.|