Volume 8 | Issue 2 | May-August 2022 | Page: 20-23 | Anil Agarwal, Ankit Jain, Ravi Jethwa, Jatin Raj Sareen
Authors: Anil Agarwal MS Ortho , Ankit Jain D Ortho , Ravi Jethwa MS Ortho , Jatin Raj Sareen MS Ortho 
 Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya, Delhi, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Anil Agarwal
Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya, Delhi, India.
Skeletal dysplasia in children is sometimes associated with severe coronal plane angulations around the knee. The associated ligament laxity adds to the complexity of surgical correction. Osteotomies require precise surgical planning and execution. Hemiepiphyseodesis is usually employed only in mild and moderate deformity. Distraction osteogenesis method is labour intensive, costly and requires a prolonged treatment course. We describe an innovative surgical technique which combines hemiepiphysiodesis using tension-band plates and a metaphyseal osteotomy. The technique utilises acute bony correction by osteotomy followed by residual correction, if any and soft tissue fine tuning through growth modulation. Growth modulation also addresses recurrence to some extent. The surgical technique is described along with illustrative case examples.
Keywords: Skeletal dysplasia, Osteotomy, Hemiepiphyseodesis
1. Bassett GS. Orthopaedic aspects of skeletal dysplasias. Instr Course Lect. 1990;39:381-387.
2. Rosskopf AB, Buck FM, Pfirrmann CW, Ramseier LE. Femoral and tibial torsion measurements in children and adolescents: comparison of MRI and 3D models based on low-dose biplanar radiographs. Skeletal Radiol. 2017;46:469-476.
3. Thacker MM, Davis ED, Ditro CP, Mackenzie W. Limb lengthening and deformity correction in patients with skeletal dysplasias. In: Sabharwal S (eds.). Pediatric Lower Limb Deformities. Springer, Cham; 2016. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-17097-8_19
4. Bell DF, Boyer MI, Armstrong PF. The use of the Ilizarov technique in the correction of limb deformities associated with skeletal dysplasia. J Pediatr Orthop. 1992;12:283-290. doi: 10.1097/01241398-199205000-00003
5. Pinkowski JL, Weiner DS. Complications in proximal tibial osteotomies in children with presentation of technique. J Pediatr Orthop. 1995;15:307-312.
6. Yilmaz G, Oto M, Thabet AM, Rogers KJ, Anticevic D, Thacker MM, Mackenzie WG. Correction of lower extremity angular deformities in skeletal dysplasia with hemiepiphysiodesis: a preliminary report. J Pediatr Orthop. 2014;34:336-345. doi: 10.1097/BPO.0000000000000089
7. Cho TJ, Choi IH, Chung CY, Yoo WJ, Park MS, Lee DY. Hemiepiphyseal stapling for angular deformity correction around the knee joint in children with multiple epiphyseal dysplasia. J Pediatr Orthop. 2009;29:52-56.
8. Shabtai L, Herzenberg JE. Limits of growth modulation using tension band plates in the lower extremities. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2016;24):691-701. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-14-00234
9. Masquijo JJ, Artigas C, de Pablos J. Growth modulation with tension-band plates for the correction of paediatric lower limb angular deformity: current concepts and indications for a rational use. EFORT Open Rev. 2021;6:658-668. doi: 10.1302/2058-5241.6.200098
10. Bell DF, Boyer MI, Armstrong PF. The use of the Ilizarov technique in the correction of limb deformities associated with skeletal dysplasia. J Pediatr Orthop. 1992;12:283-290.
11. Myers GJ, Bache CE, Bradish CF. Use of distraction osteogenesis techniques in skeletal dysplasias. J Pediatr Orthop. 2003;23:41-45.
|How to Cite this Article: K Agarwal A, Jain A, Jethwa R, Sareen JR | Combined Hemiepiphysiodesis Using Tension Band Plate and Osteotomy for Severe Coronal Plane Deformities Around Knee Joint in Children with Skeletal Dysplasia – An Innovative Technique | International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | May- August 2022; 8(2): 20-23.