Volume 4 | Issue 2 | July-December 2018 | Page: 11-14 | Ranjit V. Deshmukh, Aditi A. Kulkarni
Authors: Ranjit V. Deshmukh, Aditi A. Kulkarni 
Departments of Orthopedics,  Research, Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital and Research Center, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Ranjit V. Deshmukh,
Department of Orthopedics, Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital and Research Center, Erandwane, Pune − 411 004, Maharashtra, India.
Purpose: The aim of this study was to determine the role of Pirani scoring system for predicting the treatment of idiopathic clubfoot with the Ponseti technique.
Materials and Methods: A retrospective study was conducted. The records of 132 idiopathic clubfeet of patients treated by the Ponseti method and scored by the Pirani system between May 2007 and September 2015 were analyzed.
Result: Of the 132 feet, 101 (76.5%) feet of the patients required tenotomy. The mean number of casts required was significantly higher (P=0.033) for the group that required tenotomy (5.53 ± 1.6 casts) than the group that did not require tenotomy (4.87 ± 0.9 casts).
Conclusion: The initial Pirani score is predictive of the number of casts that may be required and the need for a tenotomy of the Achilles tendon.
Keywords: Casting, Clubfoot, Congenital talipes equinovarus, Pirani scoring, Ponseti, Tenotomy
1. Chotel F, Parot R, Durand JM, Garnier E, Hodgkinson I, Berard J. Initial management of congenital varus equinus clubfoot by Ponseti’s method. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 2002;88:710-7.
2. Dobbs MB, Rudzki JR, Purcell DB, Walton T, Porter KR, Gurnett CA. Factors predictive of outcome after use of the Ponseti method for the treatment of idiopathic clubfeet. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004;86:22-7.
3. ColburnM,Williams M. Evaluation of the treatment of idiopathic clubfoot by using the Ponseti method. J Foot Ankle Surg 2003;42:259-67.
4. Herzenberg JE, Radler C, Bor N. Ponseti versus traditional methods of casting for idiopathic clubfoot. J Pediatr Orthop 2002;22:517-21.
5. Morcuende JA, Dolan LA, Dietz FR, Ponseti IV. Radical reduction in the rate of extensive corrective surgery for clubfoot using the Ponseti method. Pediatrics 2004;113:376-80.
6. Ponseti IV, Smoley EN. The classic: Congenital club foot: The results of treatment. 1963. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009;467:1133-45.
7. Ponseti IV. Treatment of congenital club foot. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1992;74:448-54.
8. Cooper DM, Dietz FR. Treatment of idiopathic clubfoot. A thirty-year follow-up note. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1995;77:1477-89.
9. Pirani S, Outbridge HK, Sawatzky B, Stothers K. A reliable & valid method of assessing the amount of deformity in the virgin congenital clubfoot deformity. 21st SICOT Congress, 1999.
10. Wainwright AM, Auld T, Benson MK, Theologis TN. The classification of congenital talipes equinovarus. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2002;84:1020-4.
11. Laaveg SJ, Ponseti IV. Long-term results of treatment of congenital club foot. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1980;62:23-31.
12. Radler C. The Ponseti method for the treatment of congenital club foot: Review of the current literature and treatment recommendations. Int Orthop 2013;37:1747-53.
13. Dyer PJ, Davis N. The role of the Pirani scoring system in the management of club foot by the Ponseti method. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006;88:1082-4.
14. Scher DM, Feldman DS, van Bosse HJ, Sala DA, Lehman WB. Predicting the need for tenotomy in the Ponseti method for correction of clubfeet. J Pediatr Orthop 2004;24:349-52.
15. Porecha M, Parmar D. The predictive value of Pirani scoring system in the management of idiopathic club foot by Ponseti method. Int J Orthop Surg 2008;11:1-4.
16. Goriainov V, Judd J, Uglow M. Does the Pirani score predict relapse in clubfoot? J Child Orthop 2010;4:439-44.
17. Bhaskar A, Patni P. Classification of relapse pattern in clubfoot treated with Ponseti technique. Indian J Orthop 2013;47:370-6.
18. Chandrakanth U, Sudesh P, Gopinathan N, Prakash M, Goni VG. Tarsal bone dysplasia in clubfoot as measured by ultrasonography: Can it be used as a prognostic indicator in congenital idiopathic clubfoot? A prospective observational study. J Pediatr Orthop 2016;36: 725-9.
19. Chu A, Labar AS, Sala DA, van Bosse HJ, Lehman WB. Clubfoot classification: Correlation with Ponseti cast treatment. J Pediatr Orthop 2010;30:695-9.
20. Agarwal A, Gupta N. Does initial Pirani score and age influence number of Ponseti casts in children? Int Orthop 2014;38:569-72.
|How to Cite this Article: Deshmukh RV, Kulkarni AA | Predicting the Need for Tenotomy in the Management of Idiopathic Clubfoot by the Ponseti Method | July-December 2018; 4(2): 11-14.