The Evaluation of Deformity Correction in Idiopathic Clubfoot During Ponseti Casting Sessions: Two Scoring Methods Depicted Graphically
Volume 7 | Issue 2 | May-August 2021 | Page: 12-16 | Anil Agarwal, Prateek Rastogi
Authors: Anil Agarwal , Prateek Rastogi
 Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya, Geeta Colony, Delhi, India.
 Department of Orthopedics, Sharda Medical College, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Anil Agarwal
4/103, East End Apartments, Mayur Vihar Ph-1 Ext., Delhi-110096, India.
We graphically analyzed the correction of total Pirani and Dimeglio scores and their subcomponents at sequential casting sessions for children with idiopathic clubfeet.
Correction of scores at weekly sessions was represented graphically. The tenotomy effect was accounted for separately. We classified 1st to 3rd casts as early, 4th and 5th cast midlevel, and beyond 5 as final casts to describe casting treatment.
A total of 88 clubfeet (34 bilateral) in 54 patients were studied. Both total Pirani and Dimeglio graphs were characterized by a steep fall in early casts; subsequent minimal improvement in midlevel and final casts; later marked correction with tenotomy. Equinus in both scores stood as the most resistant deformity, showed full correction only following tenotomy. Dimeglio graphs captured coupling of various foot motions better over early casts than Pirani graphs.
Both Pirani and Dimeglio scores can adequately guide caregivers to progressive deformity correction in clubfoot.
Keywords: Clubfoot, CTEV, Pirani, Dimeglio, Scores, Graphs
1. Staheli L. Clubfoot: Ponseti management. Seattle, WA: Global HELP; 2009.
2. Pirani S, Naddumba E, Staheli L. Ponseti Clubfoot management: Teaching manual for healthcare providers in Uganda. Seattle, WA: Global HELP; 2008.
3. Chaudhry S, Chu A, Labar AS, Sala DA, van Bosse HJ, Lehman WB. Progression of idiopathic clubfoot correction using the Ponseti method. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2012;21: 73-78.
4. Lampasi M, Trisolino G, Abati CN, Bosco A, Marchesini Reggiani L, Racano C, et al. Evolution of clubfoot deformity and muscle abnormality in the Ponseti method: evaluation with the Dimeglio score. Int Orthop. 2016;40:2199-2205.
5. Lampasi M, Abati CN, Stilli S, Trisolino G. Use of the Pirani score in monitoring progression of correction and in guiding indications for tenotomy in the Ponseti method: are we coming to the same decisions? J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2017;25:2309499017713916
6. Agarwal A, Shanker M. Temporal variation of scores along the course of the Ponseti treatment in older children: A ready guide to progress of treatment. J Pediatr Orthop. 2020;40:246-250.
7. Pirani S, Outerbridge HK, Sawatzki B, et al. A reliable method of clinically evaluating a virgin clubfoot evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 21st SICOT World Congress, Sydney, Australia, 18-23 April 1999.
8. Diméglio A, Bensahel H, Souchet P, Mazeau P, Bonnet F. Classification of clubfoot. J Pediatr Orthop B. 1995;4:129-136.
|How to Cite this Article: Agarwal A, Rastogi P | The Evaluation of Deformity Correction in Idiopathic Clubfoot During Ponseti Casting Sessions: Two Scoring Methods Depicted Graphically |
International Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics | May-August 2021; 7(2): 12-16.